I just dropped my iPhone (or android phone) in water! What do I do? | I spilled water (or coffee) on my laptop! What do I do? | Water spilled on my macbook! Help!
Hello everyone. 😀 P&T brother is here to tell you what you need to do when your smartphone or laptop is in water… We found that so many people do not know what to do after their electronic device getting wet.. and some people are in panic. The instruction we are providing today is not the guaranteed solution for water damaged phone and laptop, but we know that this will be a good help for some of our blog readers. We see so many damaged mobile phones, tablets, and laptops as we repair them every day, but most of the damages of mobile devices are caused by water and dropping. Typically, when you drop your laptop on the ground, there is a big chance of your internal hard drive (a component that stores all of your data) becomes bad. Hard drives are very very vulnerable to physical shock and static electricity. For your iPhones and android phones, dropping from your hand height won’t cause a big damage. In many cases, the phone screen will crack, but All the phones have flash memory for storage (for saving data) unlike laptops. So, dropping phones will not cause data loss like the laptop computers with traditional hard drives, then what happens when I drop it in water?
What happens when I dropped my phone in water? What happens when I spill water on my laptop?
What if you drop them in water? What happens when you spill water on your phone or laptop ? This is totally different story. Even though your phone or laptop has water proof feature, if your device exposes to water for long time, probably, the water will get into your device eventually. What will happen is when the water gets into your electronic device, it may cause short-circuit. Also, as the water drys out on the logic board, it may cause corrosion on logic board (or motherboard) and on other computer components. This will cause your device not working properly. Let’s find out what you can do when you are in this situation!
What do I do when my smartphone was dropped in water ?
(“If you dropped your phone in salt water, you better consider bringing your phone to a professional”)
1. As soon as possible, get your iPhone (or android phone) out of water. This is very important. Faster you get your phone out of water, better chance for your phone to survive.
2. If the phone is on, turn off immediately, and DO NOT TURN ON UNTIL YOUR PHONE IS COMPLETELY DRY.
3. Remove the battery, SIM card, and memory card. Do not know how? Google it, and remove the battery first.
4. If you see water in your phone, cleanup all water gently with a soft towel.
5. Use a hair dryer (do not make the phone too hot! it may damage your phone) to dry existing water on the phone.
6. Cover your phone with rice, and wrap it up with news papers. It will help the phone dry quickly because rice and news paper will absorb moisture from your wet mobile phone.
7. When you are done, do not turn it on. Leave the phone until it drys out completely. Don’t hurry. Longer time is better. Be patient. Wait long enough. We do recommend you to wait at least 24 hours.
What do I do when I spilled water (or any other drink) on my laptop (Macbook) ?
1. As soon as possible, Turn off your laptop. This is very important. Faster you turn off, better chance for your laptop to survive. DO NOT TURN ON UNTIL YOUR LAPTOP IS COMPLETELY DRY.
2. If possible remove the battery. Do not know how? Google it, and remove the battery first. If you have integrated battery, you may need to disassemble your laptop. If you can’t, let’s go ahead and do the next step quickly.
3. You probably spilled water or drink on the keyboard. Hold and turn your laptop upside down. Make the keyboard facing down, and let the water drops voiding water getting into your laptop.
4. Now, let’s cleanup existing water from your laptop, use a soft towel, and gently wipe your laptop off. If you have spilled coffee or other drink which is sticky, use 99% alcohol to cleanup.
5. Time to remove the keyboard too see if the water got into your laptop. All laptops have different instructions on removing keyboards. Google it, and remove the keyboard.
6. Before you do this step, make sure you have disconnected the battery first. After removing keyboard, if you see any water, wipe it with a soft towel first, then use a hair dryer (do not make the laptop too hot! you may fry your laptop!) to dry existing water on the laptop. If you have spilled coffee or other drink which is sticky, use 99% alcohol to cleanup.
7. You are done, but do not turn it on. Leave the laptop (or Macbook) until it drys out completely. Don’t hurry. Longer time is better. Be patient. Wait long enough. We do recommend you to wait at least 24 hours.
That’s it!. We hope we have saved your iPhone, iPad, Android, and laptop.. Most important thing is to turn your device off. Cutting the power off from your device is also very important. We will make it really easy to understand.
Things you do when your phone or laptop is wet:
- Turn off.
- Cut the power off.
- Do not turn on.
- Clean it up and dry it out (longer time is better).
- When you are sure it’s dry, turn on again.
If your phone or laptop is not working, it is time to bring to a professional. Do not try to do anymore, and take it to a computer repair shop. Thank you again for visiting and reading our blog… Have a nice day!