How to replace CMOS battery on a motherboard (Desktop)
Have you ever wondered how your computer keep the current date and time? – The answer is the CMOS battery. In every computer, no matter desktop or laptop computer, they all have a small watch battery on motherboard. Some may call it a BIOS battery. In here, let’s call it a motherboard battery. If your computer keep looses the current date and time, the culprit might be the motherboard battery. Here is how to replace them:
- Open your desktop or laptop computer. (Disassemble..)
- Depends on the brands and models, the motherboard battery locations are different. Typically, it is located directly on motherboard.
- Find the battery and remove the battery. Normally it is easy to remove. When you push a pin, it pops out. Rarely, motherboard batteries are soldered on motherboard. For that, you will need desoldering the existing one.
- Get a new battery. For many desktop computers, they use CR2032 battery.
- just push it in. That’s it!
We hope this was helpful for you. Have a great day!